Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Silog

The Filipino breakfast
Filipino breakfast can be a variety of things. For one it can be as simple as fresh bread with some freshly made cheese. Also known as pan de sal.

Silogs: usually garlic fried rice, fried egg, and a meat :) 
Most of the time it is rice.. Specifically garlic fried rice. I swear for the most part my dad just Pam fries day old rice, garlic powder, and salt. Sometimes there was real garlic but I don't remember that the usual. While I do keep garlic powder around, i do like to use fresh garlic especially when it's avail. 
Also fried egg and meat, usually a vinegary pork sausage called longinisa, cured sweet pork called tocino, dried garlicky beef called tapa, or even smoked fish. 
Other common things for breakfast include a noodle dish called palabok, has a constrach based sauce that's colored orange with annato. Served with pork rinds, pork, green onion, and calamansi.
Champarado is another favorite. That is a  chocolate rice porridge used glutinous rice, evaporated milk, coconut milk, cocoa, sugar. 
Another coming breakfast item is arroz Caldo, which is a rice porridge chicken soup that is gingery and served with fried garlic, hard boiled eggs, pork rinds, and calamansi.

See my photo below. I also have salted egg on the corner, mixed with a little fish sauce, cilantro, fresh tomatoes, and green onions.
I've been a Filipino food cooking spree. I'll try to share photos.

Here was my breakfast for lunch plate the other day. Best part: locally made sausages by Taylor Sausages in Oakland. 

SILOG:

No comments:

Post a Comment