Thursday, April 30, 2015

Is Guam Plan B?

Guam. That small little island I am from. I grew up there. Growing up, I always knew I would end up leaving. I think it just seemed like the thing to do. Both my older sisters did it. Summers were fun in the "states." My friends were all going. So off I went to college. College was hard, none the less. I struggled with the food, with making new friends, with how much more academically was expected from me. Throughout college I always wondered what I wanted to be when I grow up, and I was lucky enough to be given the education and the time to do so. Science classes, art classes, business classes, philosophy, writing, computer, and even fashion- I have explored. Alas my liberal arts education was not working out and I ended up in checkered pants and skull cap at Le Cordon Bleu. Well guess what, after my culinary education, I wanted my college degree, and I thought nutrition made a lot of sense, but in the end, I ended up with a food science degree, which was a better fit. Anyway, I just started working, and work is sometimes hard. I say this, but honestly, I am always beating myself up for not even working hard enough. And sometimes my brain spaces out to Guam. Is Guam plan B? Somewhere my brain day dreams off to, when life gets tough. The answer is yes. Why wouldn't living in warm weather, with beautiful beaches, and moving back home, sound like a bad idea? In the end though, my head always says  "nope nope can't do it."

Anyway. So I tell myself instead. Don't have a plan B. Be happy where I am at. Work hard. I will get where I want to be. Follow my gut instinct.

Let's hope I am not jinxing myself right now. Which I am totally scared I am doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment