Sunday, August 31, 2014

Downtown

Me: on Angel's Flight "the world's shortest railway
Takes you up Bunker Hill

Let's start in the heart of L.A. Downtown. This is probably one of the fastest changing, evolving parts of L.A.. It's where the newest hotels to stay at or where the newest restaurants, bars, and coffee shops are opening. Maybe to you that is a a given for a downtown area, but just 8 years ago when I first moved to L.A. It was not like that at all! There was always Lil'Tokyo and a few classic joints that have been there forever but it was definitely not the vibrant town it is now. I've already been gone for a year, so I'm already scared my places are outdated but I'm sure the places I've pick are new classics. :)

Best bars:
1) the Gorbals: really a restaurant run by top chef alum, ilan hall, heavily Jewish influenced menu but with a twist! Think matzo balls covered in bacon! Yikes! Hah. But I loved to come for a drink and the watch people dance. There was a band that played there called California Feetwarmers. The band would transport me to 1930s Eastern Europe. Yiddish party music. People dancing. Really dancing! Not just bobbing thier bodies to whatever but twirling and coordinating thier feet. Talk about testing your compatibility with a dude this way. The restaurant is in historic Alexandria hotel, which was once run down but now enjoying some kind of revival. 

2) Edison 
1930s speakeasy theme. In an old Edison power plant, and you will see remnants of it in the bar. Highly suggested to make a reservation! So you have a place for your party! Employees in flapper dresses. There's a fairy that walks  around with absinthe in her cart. No dance floor, but they do play music.


3) rooftop at the standard
I suggest coming on obsure weekend. No cover. And more relaxing. Otherwise on a weekend, thier maybe a cover charge for thier pool party on the weekend. There will be lines and cover on a weekend. But if you don't mind that than do it. But yes, I said rooftop, so there will be a view, a nice breeze, and interesting furnishings to enjoy.

Food! 
1) Bottega Louie
High ceilings and poor acoustics make you feel like you are in Manhattan (why must I even make that comparison? LA is >) I love the table the host waits at. The most beautiful dessert cases and the best macaroons. Food is good too and fairly priced. You can still get seated without a reservation (and I can't remember if they even take them!)

2) Sugarfish
The best sushi I've ever had. Simple. Just nigiri. And served at perfect temperature! Melt in your mouth. They have a simple menu setup too where you pick a $20, $30, or $40 omasake. Or you can order a la carte. They don't take reservations. Just show up!

3) The Grand Central Market
Recently included in the country's best "restaurants." A half market/half food court, almost outdoor space. Combines old with new! So you'll see old Mexican and Chinese joints but also the new Egg Slut, Wexler's deli, and G & B coffee. Take Angels Flight for .50 cent up to Bunker Hill. There is more food up there, including the famous Mendocino Farms for soups and salads or starry kitchen for neuvo Asian food.  You should also stop by the Bradbury building for historic architecture. (blade runner filled inside)

4) Wurskuche
Sausage and beer and it's in the arts district. All sorts of sausages like rabbit and snake or even a Filipino sweet pork sausage! Pie hole is across the street for desserts! 
5) my fave place to eat is Marco bercat for good cocktails and small bites. Good flat breads and unique and appetizers. Prices are fair. And not that hard to get a reservation the same week but I still recommend getting one at least 2 weeks ahead! 

6) Favorite cheap eat
Besides the ever changing Grand Central Market, CHEGO is a must.Chef Roy Choi. Explosive Asian/LA/Latino flavors in your mouth. Spam kimchee bowl. Primerib with rice. Everything under $10!

 Coffee
Head to Urth for great coffee and desserts! Order a Spanish Latte.

 place to stay
Ace hotel is supposed to be the new best place to stay. I have yet to visit! But I recommend considering it as a choice! I'm sure it would be a cool place to drink as well.

critically acclaimed and not been to:
Bestia. Bestia has won my favorite food Critic's claim for best restaurant in LA. This place will need a reaervation for at least a month in advance and is definitely a spurlge.

 non food related points of interest:
The flower mart. I recommend visiting the flower mart but get there early! You can get there as early as 5:00, but anytime in the morning should be good. Do not even think about coming past 11. You've missed the boat. When you think of a place of L.A. you get to experience the best of all worlds here because it is just so diverse! Expect is with the fowbtown flower mart! All sorts of flowers for the best flowers! My family stopped by right before my graduation party and I had the most beautiful flowers! 
Me and my niece, Janaya, with my flowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment