Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Orange chicken

My father likes to cook. He didn't enjoy eating out much because half the time he would say, "I could make that." I've been spending time with family, and I learned that my grandfather would also try to recreate dishes he had while eating out. I must have inherited this trait. Here is my recipe for orange chicken.

Sauce:
1 blood orange juice and rind (remove rind and put in sauce too) 
1/2 cup coconut sugar 
1/2 cup unfiltered apple cider  vinegar 
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce 

Meat:
1 chicken breast
1 cup cornstarch
1 egg
Salt pepper

Extra Virgin Coconut oil for deep frying

Cut up chicken into 3/4" cubes
Season with salt and pepper
Dip in cornstarch, then egg, then cornstarch again. 

Heat coconut oil to a medium heat

Test to see if oil is ready by throwing in a piece. When temp is ready, fry your chicken pieces in it. 

Make the sauce while it is frying.

Combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and wait until the sauce thickens (until it coats the spoon as the French say). Don't forget to add the rind in. It's the best part of it! It's like having chewy candied orange rinds in your sauce. 

Remove chicken from oil. Toss in the sauce. Serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment