Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Pumpkin Pie, Brown Butter Gingersnap Crust, Gluten Free

I decided to give my hand a try a pumpkin pie this year. The idea of using brown butter intrigued me as I love the smell of brown butter. I made this pie 3 times just this holiday season! What you will need:

10" pie pan

1 stick butter
1 lb gluten free gingersnap cookies ( I really prefer gluten free ones as they are lighter. Gingersnap  cookies are usually really dense! I used Mi-Del Gluten Free Cookies which could be found at your local Walmart, in the cookie aisle)

16 oz of Pumpkin Puree
2 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, dried ginger
1 pint of heavy whipping cream (1cup for the pie filling, the other for whipped topping)
1 tbsp of Spiced Rum
1 tsp vanila for pie filling, 1 tsp for the whipped topping
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350*F

Heat butter in pan on Medium High until brown and smells nutty and like cookies baking. Do not do this step in low heat, as the butter will never brown.

Add crushed gingernsap cookies. Transfer to pie pan. Press down. Place pie pan in freezer while you work on filling.

For filling, combine puree, 1 cup whipping cream, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp vanilla, and spices: about 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger 1/8 tsp cloves 1/8 tsp nutmeg. I like to freshly ground my nutmeg.

Pull pie pan out of freezer. Add pie filling. Cover any exposed crust with foil. It will burn if you don't.

Bake for 50 min-60 min at 350 degrees F.

Allow to cool for at least an 1 hr and then let cool in the refrigerator. Preferably overnight.

Make whipped topping. I prefer to make this right before serving, whether that is the same night you made it or for the next day. Combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 cup whipping cream. 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tbsp spiced rum. Whip up! I don't have a mixer, so I do it by hand! Every time I do this, I almost always feel like it won't come together right before it does! So never give up! You will know it is ready when you could start making little stiff peaks! Do not take it further than that as the cream starts to turn into butter and clumpy! I like to serve mine sprinkled with nuts, either walnuts or pecans. And with a sprinkle of coconut sugar,brown sugar will do as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment