Thursday, January 16, 2014

Rice in a clay pot

Rice. So basic and yet most people can't make it without a rice cooker. I have a rice cooker but it big and takes 45 minutes to cook rice. Yes the rice always comes out perfect, but it's not worth my counter space or time. Try making rice on your stove top especially if you are only cooking for 1 or 2. It's easy. I like using my clay pot which I got from my local Korean market for about $12. You can put it directly on the stove. So, first I oil the pot. I usually do this with extra virgin olive oil. I do this so it is easy to clean. But some people like having that crunchy toasty layer of rice in the bottom, if you are one of them, then don't oil and let that crust form. Then I add the rice, I usually cook about 3/4 cup at a time. That is two servings of rice for me. Then I rinse it 1x-3x depending how milky the rice water looks. Then I add water. Now you can either use a measuring cup and equal parts water plus a little more. Or you can use the finger method of using your finger to measure the amount of water. How? You place your finger tip on top of the rice, and the water should reach the first line on your finger. Cool huh? Ok. So now, you turn it up on med high. Let it boil until the water boils off to the top of the rice. Turn off heat. Put the lid of clay pot on. Let sit for another 10 minutes. The clay pot holds on the heat and will continue cooking the rice. If you don't own a clay pot. Still cover your rice at the same time and then continue cooking on low heat for the same amount of time. Do not take the lid off! No peeking. And then it is don't. Does it have a toasty flavor? It's not burnt. In the Philippines and Guam, that bottom crunchy layer is the favorite part of their rice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment