Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter: loving cup, painting polk street red, dimsum, and boutiquehopping Novel


My sister got a room in a Russian Hill area. It's vicinity to food, bars, and cute boutiques made the hotel perfect. For one it was right next to Loving Cup. Have you had Loving Cup? They have rice pudding, usually around 6 flavors a day. I usually end up with a rum raisin. But on our last day there my sister had me try their slow churned frozen yogurt. It is soooo good. I thought it sounded gimcky but I was so wrong. It is so good. It was so smooth. You pick the base and any mixins you want. No ice crystals in it, meaning it was supa smooth. I know I said that already. I was hung over and then I had a few bites of her mango slow churned frozen yogurt and I felt better. The weekend was so fun, and sister and I agreed it would be so dangerous for us if we lived in that area. I would be having loving cup for breakfast and then when I get home for work and then maybe for desert after dinner.

We then strolled down Polk and stumbled upon The Candy Shop. Cutest candy shop ever. I loved how small the place was and all the bulk candy items were in large glass jars behind the register. I let everyone pick something, and it was fun seeing their personality's come through their choices. I ended up with rhubarb lemon tube things and sweedish hearts. Hearts because they were cute, and rhubarb candy because I love rhubarb. 
 Our  friends wanted oysters so we waited a long time for some Oysters at the Oyster Depot, which I though was super cool just because the place looked like it was 100 years old. Narrow restaurant, with just one really long counter and a bunch of men cutting cup seafood, and shucking oysters on the other side.

Dinner was at Nick's taco. It's an old bar with huge red booths lining the walls and the most chandeliers I've ever seen in a single space, but they serve tacos and burritos before it gets too late. We all got out tacos Nick's way which means it comes with guacamole and one fried shell wrapped in a soft tortilla. Good and a cheap eat, although watch out for all the add ons. They can add up. Food is cash only. But not the bar. I got the fish taco, and it was delicious. Perfectly battered and the fried shell wrapped in the soft taco added a good contrast.

And then bar hopping. Ooh. It's already Monday and just a few minutes ago I had a memory of another drink I just had. You know, like it's all coing back to me now. We went to a lot of bars. And it's the first time I'd ever had to google the name of a bar because I just noticed the charge on my CC. Turned out to be "The Last Standing Gay Bar on Polk." I don't remember being in a gay bar. That's the funny part. My favorite bars of the night were definitely Lush and Tonic. We stopped by a lot of dives too which are always fun.

Brunch was a Hong Kong Cafe for dimsum!  I like the small and intimate setting and the pink walls. No carts here, but you order from the ticket and it comes out fresh (in true Hong Kong fashion I hear). Food was good. I could eat "Shangai" or soup ir XLB (Xo long bao) dumplings all day long. Peking duck was served with the right accouterments of white buns, green onions, cucumber, and plum sauce.

Late checkout let the kids jump in the perfect temperature pool. Me? I was still "dead" you know from the night before. Even my coffee from St. Franks Coffee didn't help. So I didn't even want to get into my bathing suit. I needed to tan though because I just had my bloodwork done and my vitamin D is low meaning I need more SUN! hahahaha That would probably not have happened living in LA or Guam.So i just laid in the sun with my outfit still on, and only my legs and arms were exposed. One of the girls asked if I was trying to tan and I said yes, And she said, "That's not going to work." Then you should have seen her tanning technique. Pretty expert. She chose the small stair case and a towel and arched her back toward the sun. Yup I need to do that. My belly needs to tan! It was funny looking at my reflection during my Bar Method class and thinking, "oh my arms did get tanner but my face. . . no. "
This is us taking a break from the sun. So much going on here. Zamora's first steps, the bromancing, ky in his executive chair. 

And then we strolled over to Union St, where the street was closed off for a festival. There were a lot of cute shops! I finally found a new favorite piece of clothing. It has been awhile since that has happened. It's a knit black pencil skirt. I want to go back! Or I want to do the weekend all over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment