Saturday, April 5, 2014

I just discovered America's Test Kitchen

I've been cooking for 10 years now and have never caught a single episode of ATK. It must have been SoCal. My cable never picked it up, which is strange because its on Public TV. So now..I am not only a Public radio junkie. I am officially a Public TV junkie. I love ATK. They test the recipes before they show you how to make something, combining science with food. I caught the episode where they make Chicago style pizzas. I never had Chicago style pizza's until I moved here to The Bay Area where 2 main local chains seem to hold the title for the best deep dish pizza -Zachery's and Little Star. Well now they will have to compete with my kitchen, because I tried making Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizzas and I conquered it! Its quite fun make it, and dare I say, easy to make. This may be worth putting together versus the commute, wait, and price of having it out. Another reason, why I like ATK, recipe and procedures are dummy proof and you can find ingredients at your local grocery store. No need to go to a specialty and the ratios are easy to follow. I may have the recipe memorized by now. I may have watched the video over 5x times. I won't write the recipe, because I already told you where I got it. But here are my pics! To make life easier, you will need a Standing Mixer and you will need probably a good 3 hrs saved for your 1st time making it for all the Prep and Baking time. There's a few resting periods, but time passes easily as you are preparing other parts of the pizza during the resting periods such as the sauce and the toppings. After practice you can probably knock one out after 1.5 hrs. Baking time is actually not that long at a good 30 mins, made in your 9" cake pan. The fascinating part is that at one point you take your dough and put a layer of butter on top. Then roll up the dough like a jellyroll! How fun! This is what makes the flully layers. The butter creates steam in between the layers. Each pie has about 1 stick in butter in it over all between it being in the dough recipe, the layer, and the sauce!  Our pizza toppings had three themes, The kid pleaser with pepporoni and mushroom. The sister pleaser: with Italian sausage in the sauce and anchovies sprinkled on top, mushroom and olives of course. And a meat-zza for the men. That had sausage, pepperoni, bacon, olives and mushroom. And lucky dudes, their pizza pie was made in a cast iron pan, which produced a crunchier crust.








No comments:

Post a Comment