Sunday, September 28, 2014

Happy with Hazel

Photo: the spread

Being a gracious host takes a lot of practice and learning. You can read books on it. But it's not the same as doing it yourself. Being a host does not only take place in your own home but also when out when you invite people out or are introducing people to each other. Being a gracious host is an important skill to have and something I am most definitely learning still!
 Last Friday was the first time I officially hosted an event and it was with the help of my sister. I was helping her host a Motives cosmetic party and I like make up so I actually wanted to host this party. My sister called the event, "happy with hazel," and even made the cutest Invitations. 

First came the menu planning. People sometimes ask me where my ideas for food come from. I think my food muse is always nearby and she is there to always inspire me. Sometimes it's a dish I've seen on a menu or recipe. Recently they really are inspired by trips to the farmers market. "Come try a fresh date." "What would you do with this?" "Cheese plate or make bacon wrapped date." Ooh ok. I will do that!
Cocktail of the night:
Mezcal Mule 
Mezcal, ginger beer, lemon, lime, and mint. Later in the evening this had cucumber. 

Dish #1: bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese.  You just take bacon cut in half. Remove pit of date and stuff. I stuffed mine with a soft sheep cheese. And then wrap with bacon. Use a toothpick to hold together. This can be prepped night before, and then just thrown into oven right before party. While this dish is good served hot, it is also good served room temp. So it's easy to prepare in advance. 

Item #2 was a rustic hummus. Hummus does not have to be blended. You can smush beans halfway. I used white and garbanzo beans, mix it with purple onions, avocado, garlic, cilantro, parsley, tahini, lime. lemon, and a good olive oil. I served it with lavash crackers. This is a good thing for a party because you can prep it night before and your guest will have something to eat right when arrive. If you prep night before I suggest adding avocado right before serving though. 

Dish #3 "crack a plate" Brie on just made crostini, served with a peach bourbon or Arabian apple jam. 

Dish #4. Fries with parsley and Parmesan. I just used frozen shoestring fries, baked, added freshy gratsd Parmesan and parsley! 

Dessert: 
cardamom and orange choclate ice cream served with a lavender shortbread cookie and dressed with a sweet guerztiminer "almost vinegar" 
 This was supposed to be served with fresh figs I had picked up but forgot about it when serving but nobody noticed of course. But sad I have a basket of figs to eat by myself now. 
See. Hosting and menu planning is easy peasy. 


So lessons learned.

For the guests that stayed later they even got an "appetif" of ginger pineapple keffir water served with strawberry, cucumber, lemon,  and mint. 

1) my place is small. And it gets hot when I cook. Guest were sweating up in here for as long as the oven was on. I would have tried to get all the baking done before the guest arrived. This was not possible though bc most guest pretty much arrived soon after I got home which was I was expecting of course. Regardless it was not something I took into acct when I had planned the cooking while they arrive. Also a good host will not still be prepping while guest have arrive. But remember I was helping host and was not main event thrower. 

2) write down every component of my menu somewhere such as a board. I wrote down my menu. But I did not write down ALL components. It was helpful though. As I read it and went "oh yes oh yes I wanted to make fries." I forgot to add the figs in the moment too as I mentioned.  I also forgot to add cucumbers to the cocktails. Darnit! 

3) remember the name of items you served. Everyone liked the cheese but what did I say when everyone goes, "what type of cheese is this?" I actually just realIzed now I could have looked in the trash for the wrapper and go above and beyond. But instead I blurted out it was called "crack a plate" at the market. Hah. 
The cocktail:

Mmm fries. 

The "appertif" of keffir. 




No comments:

Post a Comment