Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Lykke Li -WCW (woman crush wed)

I skipped Outsidelands this year. I've been going for 3 years in a row, but I wanted to be responsible and paid bills and school loans instead of spending almost $400 on a concert ticket. That is called, being an adult. Although I guess we all carry debt, so maybe I could have just gone on carrying it. Anyhoo I did miss a Lykke Li performance, so I was happy to find out she had show the Fox Theater in Oakland. I heard it was a great venue, so thought this was a perfect opportunity.I first discovered Lykke Li, maybe around 2008. Around that time, I had finished culinary school, but was uninspired to look for something in my field, and trying to figure out what to do with my life, I started listening to music more and here I found Lykke Li.

Here's my tour of her music and what it means to me. I'll have to start with her first album. Indulge me, I need concert/music friends!

So one song I first liked was "Let it Fall" where she talks about how she likes to cry. Sounds familiar? Funny thing I could not understand her, so I thought she was saying "So happy" and then I found out she was talking about crying, and I liked the song even more. A happy tune with sad words. I like the contradiction
"I like it salt. I like it wet. I like my makeup in a mess. So I weep. It feels so good when I let my water fall. And I won't stop until my tears are all shed."
 I like to indulge in my sad feelings. Listen to songs. Watch a certain movie. And I can cry for  a whole week too. Oh to be a girl.
http://youtu.be/CMOOVUhxXcg


"Little Bit" -- "Hand's down I'm too proud love, but with eyes shut it's you that I am thinking of. I think I'm a little bit in love with you but only if you are a little bit in love with me."  Is that possible to be a little bit in love? Nope.
http://youtu.be/G6Qqhhlb3T0

Dance Dance Dance. "I was a dancer after all." I've always said, "I can't dance." But then I grew up and realized that I can. Maybe in my strange way but I can, Here is a version of Dance Dance Dance, which is with Bon Ivar, another band I love. But try to look for the one on her album too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgbTvfCgSk

"Everyone but me." For those days you don't feel like being in the crowd. "Everybody is dancing. I don't want to. Everybody is drinking, I don't want to. Everybody is using, I don't need one." Maybe the club isn't good all the time right? I've had a lot of these moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wkDfujp0CQ

OK. For her 2nd album. A lot darker and a little more poetic.  
You can tell with the first single on the album. Watch the music video and see how mysterious the lyrics and the video has become. But this still a good catchy song. "I follow you to deep sea baby." Love that. Since I love the ocean. But the video made me LOL, because I decided to wear cute heels to the concert, and then I took the BART home, and then walked barefoot home. Yah I did. She runs barefoot in the video. And that kiss is so good in the video.
http://youtu.be/vZYbEL06lEU

Ok I Love this one "Sadness is a Blessing." You must watch this video. Shows you how cookoo she is. And I mean that in a the best way possible "Sadness is a blessing. Sadness is my boyfriend. Sadness, I'm your girl." I could not agree more with that line. I would not be as happy as I am if I were never sad. And I'm single now, so sadness you are my boyfriend. I'm your gal. I've begged him not go. Yes I've done this too.
http://youtu.be/Xu-b3u5jDiU

For most recent album you wonder, "Who has she fallen in love with and left and longs for?" This album is more painful to hear.
This one is called "Sleeping Alone." 
Cannot get used to. Cannot forget you. Will I get used to sleeping alone?  I never used to. I didn't get to, never get used to sleeping alone. Tomorrow's a long time. Getting so alone. I love you a loved you a long time. I loved you long. Someday somehow. Somewhere down the line. You save your heart for mine we'll meet again. Will I get used to? Cannot forget you. Don't want to get used to dancing alone." Dancing alone. This is just what I just did. I saw the show alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1aoelO_Ow

One more. And also a good one.
never gonna love again
"Every time the rain falls think of me on a lonely highway. How can we turn around the heartache? I'm never gonna love again. Baby wait a long time, before you love somebody new. Can we start all over again because I'm never gonna love again?"
Ugh OK,. Heart hurts now. Must stop writing.

http://youtu.be/O-tMD2Tqt5w

And to end WCW, Lykke Li said during her show, "This is the girliest city I have every been to!" Hah. Cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment