Monday, September 1, 2014

Oakland Oakland!


I live in Oakland. And Iove it so far. I live in the Temescal/Rockridge area. I feel like I live in a bubble sometimes, because I've barely explored outside my town.  

Also such funny thing to realize that carefree weekends and free evenings are a new concept for me. I've never had evenings available because I've worked evenings for the past how many years I've been working in retail or in a kitchen or in a production facility. And weekends are newish too since I have always been in school and usually have had to manage weekends with fun time and homework. 

So what I'm saying is I'm just starting to get a chance to explore a little bit. 

Few weekends ago, I met up with a new friend and explored Oakland a little bit. We started off at Jack London Square for the craft fair they have every 3rd Saturday. 

I enjoyed it. I didn't buy anything (yes!) but saw things I would definitely consider investing in, mostly handmade jewelry and leather goods. 

There were a few food trucks park there including a Filipino one. So I kinda had to try it. I got the tocinolog. Which is pork marinated in basically sugar. And egg. Egg in Tagalog is itlog. So tocinolog combines the 2 words. Cute huh? Except it's really supposed to be "tocilog"! I was glad that they made it from scratch but dish did not look pretty. Just chopped pork, rice, and egg. It was still nice to enjoy this food by the water. 


Next we walked around a few art galleries, mostly around 24th st. I'm fascinated by people who create art. 

Then we met up for dinner with a few coworkers at  Mua. Supposedly you are suppose to say it like the sound of kiss. "Muah!" But I turn into a rebel and just say Moo-ah. I loved the space. It's in an old building with high ceilings, exposed beams, brick walls, and   fun art. Food is contemporary American. Menu is large with a lot of small plates. I ordered pate on toast and polenta in a tomato sauce. Both were good and probably around $7-$9 each. They have happy hr on Saturday! Cool. 
We ended the night with a movie at the New Parkway Theatre, which is this cool theatre where you can drink beer or wine and order pizza and burgers while enjoying your movie and it can be brought to you. Plus it's cheap! $8 for a movie! Wow! Yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment